Prince Philip's training

Kings, Queens & Flying Machines

HRH Prince Philip began his flying training on 12th November 1952 at White Waltham, his instructor being Flt Lt Caryl Ramsay Gordon. After initial training on the De Havilland Chipmunk he continued on the North American Harvard, shown here in 1953. Prince Philip was awarded his "wings" by Chief of the Air Staff  Air Chief Marshal Sir William Dickson at a private ceremony at Buckingham Palace on the 4th May 1953.

 

Collection Ref: 6507-1