Exhibitions and displays
The Museum has throughout both its sites in Cosford and London a number of discrete exhibitions and displays in our main galleries that have been created to highlight particular areas of service life and factors that effected everyday people during key periods in the Royal Air Force's history. We also have a number of temporary exhibitions at each site.
Alongside the Aircraft Collection displays, RAF Museum Cosford hosts a number of fascinating exhibitions and displays. These include:
- Radar Echoing Models, aircraft, missiles and tanks used in intelligence gathering.
- Air Gunners, a description of who, what, where, when and how air gunners operated.
- Prisoners of War, exploring Cosford's role as a POW reception centre and History of Cosford
- A description of Cosford's role during and since WWII.
We also have exhibitions of Aero Engines, with piston engines from the 50hp Le Rhone to the 2900hp Wright cyclone and jet engines with everything from early Whittle engines up to Eurofighter. We have a collection of German, US and British solid and liquid fuelled Rocket motors and a unique collection of German Rocketry.
Within to our main halls, Milestones of Flight, Historic Hangars, Bomber Hall, Battle of Britain Hall and Grahame White Aircraft Factory, the Museum hosts a number of exhibitions and displays that you can explore during your visit. The following permanent exhibitions are currently on display at RAF Museum London:
- Chinook - Big Windy, located in the Museum's Historic Hangars
- Princess Mary RAF Nursing Service, located in the Museum's Bomber Command Hall
- Air Traffic Control, located on the top floor of the Museum's Milestones of Flight Gallery
- Our Finest Hour, which plays on the hour every hour from 11am to 5pm in the Museum's Battle of Britain Hall
- Aviation History Timeline, which can be found in our Milestones of Flight Gallery
- Dambusters Exhibition, which is located at the beginning of the Museum's Bomber Command Hall
- Battle of Britain Art Exhibition, located on the Battle of Britain Hall Mezzanine.
- String of Pearls, located on the Battle of Britain Hall Mezzanine
Additionally the Museum currently has two temporary exhibitions which can be found in the Upper Gallery Area of Historic Hangars. The entrance to these Galleries in via the stairs located in Conference Reception. We currently have on display in these areas:
- In the Art Gallery until 31st May 2013 - "fresh air - a new perspective on aviation art", showcasing the work of former Artist in Residence to the Red Arrows, David Bent
- In the Temporary Exhibitions Gallery until 30th September 2012 "Athletes & Olympians : Sport in the RAF" which looks at the Olympic careers of various members of the RAF.