Central Flying School
"To train instructors, test individual aircrew, audit the Flying Training System, give advice on flying training and provide a formation aerobatics display team."
CFS Mission statement, 2010
The Central Flying School (CFS) was established on 12 May 1912. Courses taught navy and army pilots advanced flying skills and a ground training syllabus focused on aerial warfare.
In 1920 the CFS became the Flying Instructors School (FIS). Building on the work of Major Smith-Barry and the School of Special Flying at Gosport it produced Qualified Flying Instructors (QFI).
Over the next 10 years a number of RAF flying training schools were formed and the FIS reverted back to the CFS at RAF Wittering.
In 1935 as part of the RAF's expansion scheme, the CFS became a unit within Flying Training Command and returned to RAF Upavon. From 1937 one aircraft of each new type being developed was sent to the CFS so that its flying characteristics could be assessed.
During the 1940s the need for a "training conference in permanent session" was identified and the Empire Central Flying School (ECFS) was established. The majority of CFS staff transferred to this unit whilst the remainder at RAF Upavon formed No. 7 FIS.
The Central Flying School was re-established in 1946 at RAF Little Rissington. It became once more the only RAF school training flying instructors and has continued to develop in line with the training needs of the RAF.
In 1953, with flying training becoming a two-stage scheme, basic and advanced squadrons were set up and a Helicopter Development Flight was also formed.
Since 1995 the CFS training remit has also expanded with additional instructional roles being recognised. These include Navigator Instructor (QNI) and Air Electronics Instructor (QAEI).
Today CFS HQ is based at RAF Cranwell.