5 Marathons in 5 Days: Day 3 - Robin's Account

Today, in many respects, has been the hardest day of all.

Not only has it been the longest in terms of distance, the hilliest and the hottest but I have had to spend most of the afternoon convincing my colleagues on our walk today that it was not a zebra that we saw in Helmdon but instead a white horse that was quite clearly having an identity crisis whilst wearing a zebra fly rug to protect it from the increasingly maddening midges that we are currently encountering on a regular basis.
 A white horse or a zebra? You decide.The fact that we ended up having lunch at the White Horse just outside Silverstone provoked another debate about whether we should state that we were having lunch at the 'Zebra' instead  - give Alan a bone and he will keep gnawing away at it - a topic that he returned to with much gusto this evening when he insisted that I showed Gaynor his wife the photograph so that he could prove his point.

Thankfully we have been joined all day by Sir Glenn Torpy, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and former Chief of Air Staff who brought a sense of order to the day, as one would expect, but who also joined in on the banter which helped made the miles fly by. He also rather kindly stumped up dinner for us all, which was as unexpected as the food was welcome...which again prompted comments about being able to eat a Zebra / Horse! 

The beauty of the countryside still amazes - as does the recklessness of some of the drivers that we have encountered on our way. But again, with the efficiency that one would expect from someone who has commanded thousands of Servicemen and women, Glenn took charge of map reading and route guidance and got us safely to RAF Halton, where the Station Commander, Group Captain James Brayshaw, had very kindly arranged accommodation for us all.
Robin with his beard, and Sir Glenn Torpy and Alan
Discomfort and chafing are now constant companions, and I'm not entirely sure whether I should keep the beard or not. According to Alan it makes me look rather dashing, but the one thing about doing a challenge like this is that the last thing that you have to worry about is whether you have a shave in the morning or not. I suppose that it will have to come off for the official photographs on Friday when we reach the Museum's London Site. But we'll see how I feel.

Still sleeping like a log, of an evening which is good. But still finding that setting off and getting into our stride after each rest period a challenge. It does take a good 15 to 20 minutes before the hobble disappears and we could be considered to be walking. I haven't really noticed any increase in appetite which is strange given the number of calories that we have burnt off over the last couple of days. But we are now more than half-way through, and I have to admit that whilst it will be great to reach our goal of arriving at the London Museum I have rather enjoyed this odyssey across central England and will be somewhat sad to have it end.

Spitfire Kentish Ale
Alan and Robin's 5 Marathons in 5 Days is proudly supported by Spitfire Kentish Ale 

If you would like to help Alan and Robin achieve their goal of raising £100,000 for the RAF Museum's RAF Centenary Programme, you can now make a donation here.

Paul Hudson-Knight, Head of Marketing
About the Author

Paul Hudson-Knight, Head of Marketing

Paul Hudson-Knight joined the Royal Air Force Museum as Head of Marketing in early 2008, having previously worked in event organisation & commercial radio. He first visited the RAF Museum in London in 1982 and fell in love with it then. His intention is to introduce the Museum to a new generation of young men and women so that they may be as passionate about it as he is.

blog comments powered by Disqus
3 Pilots 1 War

Discover the amazing story of three First World War Pilots

Find out more
 Bernard Rice

Bernard Rice

First World War Pilot
3 Pilots 1 War