100 Years of the RAF Festival
1 - 2 April 2018
Join us on Sunday 1 April and Monday 2 April 2018 to celebrate the foundation of the RAF in its centenary year with a nostalgic weekend of events and activities for the whole family to enjoy.
The Museum will come alive on Sunday 1 April and Bank Holiday Monday 2 April the with crews from throughout history. Join living historians, interpreters, children's activities, vintage vehicles and much more across the whole site and walk through history, exploring the 100 years of the Royal Air Force.
Meet the originators of the Royal Flying Corps and see up close exactly what these young pilots had to do to defend our skies and how different it is from today.
- Marvel at some of the earliest technologies in flying machines, from bi-planes to airships, and hear how integral their roles were in making the Royal Air Force what it is today.
- Hear the stories of peacetime operations throughout history, the Royal Air Force’s wider community involvement, and its continuing spirit.
- Chat amongst the Second World War pilots, have a go at plotting maps, or relax in the Officer’s Mess.
- Take aim and fire with a have-a-go anti-aircraft area. For the young, or the just young at heart, take a seat behind replica anti-aircraft guns and see whether you can catch the enemy.
- Join family friendly interactive talks; get involved in tactical mapping, learn how to scramble to all manner of aircraft and explore RAF missions in the wider world.
- Wonder at the skills of pilots in the new Jet Age and practice your own Scramble to the Vulcan.
- Meet serving personnel from the RAF today and hear more about their roles.
We anticipate that the weekend will be extremely busy, parking is limited at the Museum, however, a free shuttle bus will be operating from the Cosford railway station on both Sunday 1 and Monday 2 April from 10am – 4pm. Parking charges at the Museum will apply as usual.
Do you have a display or are interested in participating at this event? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information
« All Events