09 October 2021
We have teamed up with Chappers Photography to offer a unique, hands-on course in aviation photography. In these small workshops, you can expect to learn the theory behind aviation photography, pick up some tips and tricks and try out your newly learned skills in a range of settings, scenarios and cameos in and around the RAF Museum.
The course will start at 11.00am, your day will begin with some informative photography theory. You will then test out some of this knowledge using the incredible collection of aircraft and exhibits as your subjects.
To commemorate the 81st anniversary of the Battle of Britain you will spend some time learning how to photograph our Battle of Britain fighter four. It will include the chance to step across the barrier and take up-close shots. You will have exclusive access to walk on board one of the larger aircraft in our collection for a private viewing and internal photoshoot. For a grand finale, you will be allowed access to our First World War Exhibition after hours between 5.00pm and 6.00pm.
The event is suitable for all abilities, we welcome beginners, intermediate and experienced photographers who wish to refresh their knowledge.
Tickets cost £75.00 per person (including lunch). Places are limited to 20 per day and tickets must be purchased in advance.
Your health and wellbeing is important to the RAF Museum, so to make you feel as safe as possible we have put the following measures in place:
- You have the option to wear a face mask throughout the course.
- The class will be in a large room, and all seats will be social distanced and wiped down before your arrival.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in the study room and around the Museum
Exclusive Aircraft Access (subject to change):
• Battle of Britain Fighter Four Access – private viewing and mini tour
• Liberator B24 – private viewing
• First World War in the Air – private viewing of Hangar
11:00am: Arrival, briefing and welcome
11.30am: Course Start
12.30am: Museum photography practice
1:15pm: Q&A from the practice
2:30pm – Course resumes with aircraft access / close view cockpit shots
3:45pm: Break / Shop visit
4:30pm: Course resumes with aircraft access / close view cockpit shots
5.00pm: Exclusive out of hours access in Hangar 2
6.00pm: End of course
- Only ticket holders will be able to gain access to the workshop
- The event is for age 16 and overs only
- You must bring your own camera (any type and model of camera is acceptable)
- In addition, you may benefit from bringing the following if you have it:
- Wide angle lens
- Additional lens up to 200mm
- Flash guns
- Memory cards
- Spare battery
- The photography will occasionally take place outside, so please bring suitable clothing and footwear.
- Lunch is provided (please notify us of any dietary requirements during booking)
- The aircraft will be in their usual Museum settings
About the tutor:
Lee Chapman, aka Chappers Photography, always aims to get a sense of realism within his photographs, he covers a wide range of subjects including wildlife, sports and equine. Although, he favours and specialises in the subject of historic aviation. Lee has received numerous accolades for his photography and works as a media reporter/photographer for Airscene.co.uk and has covered all of the major UK air shows over the last few years.
He has recently released a book through Key Publishing on the RAF Aircraft from the Battle of Britain and is currently working on a follow-up to this. You can now also see Chappers Photography’s images adorning some of the official clothing merchandise of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Alongside his photography Lee is also a fully qualified college lecturer and has over 15 years’ experience in adult education.