Help us make the Nation’s Historic Hendon collection available, through scanning and photographing documents, artwork, sculptures and photographs and writing a description about the image.
The RAF Museum collection represents the national memory of the RAF - at work and play, at war and at peace, in the UK and overseas. Approximately 3,000 documents, works of art, still and moving images relate to the Hendon site, and the stories of those who flew from or worked at Hendon from 1910 to the RAF station’s final closure in 1987. This collection plays a central part in the redevelopment of our site and our community outreach programme.Join us for a ten week programme, work with real Hendon related historic objects, learn new skills and the various methods a museum uses to record their collection in digital form and help us to be able to share this collection more widely and easily.
- Work as part of a team
- Produce digital images
- Scan photos and images
- Capture information
- Work to a brief and schedule
You will be:
- Confident working on a computer
- Confident to use digital imaging equipment
- Interested in digital imaging
- Happy to work in teams and on your own
- Able to use initiative where appropriate
- Have good written/oral communication skills
- Happy to undertake repetitive tasks
- Able to follow a work process
All the necessary training to carry out the role will be provided.
This will include:
- an induction to the museum and collections department
- how to handle and move museum objects
- our collections management system
- how to use a digital camera
- how to use our imaging and editing software
- Health and safety training including manual handling, emergency and fire evacuation and first aid procedures
Successfully completing the training is a requirement of fulfilling the role.
One day a week for ten weeks from mid-May to mid-July, taking place on a Monday, Wednesday or Thursday. A personal schedule will be agreed with the Line Manager.
10.00am to 4.00pm
Travel and food expenses will be reimbursed up to £10 per day, in line with our policy.
How to get involved
Complete the Expressions of Interest form and send it to Rachel Ball, Volunteering Manager by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8358 4828.
Expression of Interest – Digitisation HH.doc
Please express your interest in this role by 1st May 2017.
We welcome applications from people of all interests, abilities, backgrounds and communities.