- Adopt an Artefact
- Ways to give
- How your support helps
- Contact our fundraising team
- Donate an Artefact
Donate an artefact
With the Museum now open we look forward to continuing to discuss potential acquisitions for the Museum’s collection remotely.
If you would like to discuss donating material to the Museum please contact us by completing the Donate an Artefact form to tell us about the item(s) you are considering donating to the Royal Air Force Museum.
Copies are available: https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/support-us/donate-an-artefact/donate-an-artefact-form/
Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
We would respectfully ask that you do not post items to the Museum or bring items to the Museum before discussing your kind offer with a curator.
If you have already contacted the Museum about a potential acquisition during lockdown there is no need to re-submit. These have been logged and the team will be in touch as they work through these. They will respond as soon as possible but it may take a little longer than usual.
When completing the Donate an Artefact form please provide as much information as you can (including images if possible) about the item(s) themselves and how you acquired them. One of our curators will assess your offer and contact you in due course. Please note, the Royal Air Force Museum receives many offers of material for the Collection and whilst we consider each offer it may take us some time to respond to you.
If you have an aircrew log book or photographs that that you would rather not donate but would consider loaning to us for a short agreed time so that we can make copies for our Archives or Photographs Collections we would be very interested to hear from you. Please contact: email@example.com
Items we are unable to accept for our collections
The Royal Air Force Museum is fortunate to continue to receive a large number of offers to donate material for incorporation into our extensive Collections.
Whilst all such offers are gratefully received, unfortunately, we are unable to accept every item offered to us, usually for one or more of the following reasons:
- We already have good examples of the object/object type within the existing Collection
- The material offered falls outside our Collecting policy
- The current ownership of the material is unknown or at risk of being disputed
- We lack the space or resources to be able to accommodate the material
- The material is something that we do not collect for ethical or legal reasons, such as human remains and unlicensed firearms
- The material includes radioactive items, cellulose nitrate film or any items which may contain dangerous or harmful substances, such as explosives or asbestos
- The item(s) is in poor condition
- The cost of transporting the item(s) would be prohibitive
We are not able to accept material on long-term loan
Please note that we cannot guarantee that any item donated will be displayed, but all items in our collections are available for viewing and research by appointment.