- Plan your day
- Things to see and do
- What’s going on?
- Group visits
- Onsite and online workshops
- Self-guided visits
- School Booking Form
- School Resources
- Literacy and Numeracy Boosters
- Family Resources
- Little Swifts
- Special Events
- Home Education
- Venue hire
- Conference and exhibition
- Evening receptions and dining
- Filming and photography
- Day delegate rates
- Hire charges
- Room capacities
- Catering and suppliers
- Service quality
- Corporate event enquiry
- Community – Historic Hendon Project
The Spitfire Experience
Sitting in the cockpit of a Spitfire is a once in a lifetime experience, to make sure you’re prepped for the day please take note of our access restrictions before purchasing your tickets:
- You must be physically fit to climb a small number of steps and lift your legs and full body weight into the cockpit
- Please wear trousers or shorts. Skirts and dresses may prevent or restrict access
- Please wear flat shoes with a good grip on them. Please note: we cannot allow the public access without appropriate footwear.
- You are more than welcome to take pictures once inside the cockpit – please come with a camera that can be zipped into a pocket or a camera with a strap
- Spitfire Cockpits are small – please see measurements below for your information.
- If the museum feels that it is not safe or possible for you to access the Spitfire MK16 cockpit then we reserve the right to refuse access. Please refer to the terms and conditions displayed at the Experience before purchasing your ticket
This experience runs daily from 11.15am – 4.10pm. Admission is by pre-booked timed ticket. Just turn up on the day with your ticket and make your way to our Mark XVI Spitfire in H3 (Hangar 3), 10 minutes before your booked time slot.
£25.00 per person
All ticket sales help support the RAF Museum.
Please arrive at the Spitfire 10 minutes before your session is due to start.
Although not an experience aimed at our younger visitors, children are welcome, but the recommended minimum age is 8+ years. All children under 12 years to be assisted and supervised by their guardian for the duration of the experience. Children 12+ years must be able to access the cockpit unassisted if a guardian is not available to assist them.
Wearing of Facemasks
We strongly recommend that all visitors wear a face covering when visiting our galleries, shop and restaurant* unless they were previously exempt from doing so. You will not need to wear one when outside in our green spaces, unless it makes you more comfortable to do so. We would also ask that when in our buildings that our visitors be aware of others around them and where possible maintain a social distance of 1 metre.
*Except when seated.