|Location:||War in the Air|
The Defiant was a two-seat turret fighter, operated with mixed fortunes during the Battle of Britain period but finding its niche as a night fighter in the 1940-42 period, as well as extensive use later in the war for air-sea rescue and target tug roles in the UK and Middle and Far East.
N1671 was taken on RAF charge in August 1940 and operated by No 307 (Polish) Squadron RAF from September 1940, being operational from December 1940 after working up and training; Last operational user was No 285 (Anti aircraft Co-Operation ) Squadron from June 1942. Now the sole surviving intact example of its type, originally set aside for preservation in September 1944! Appearing from its packing crate for museum display in 1960, N1671 was completely restored by Medway Aircraft Preservation Society at Rochester Airport after many years on display at RAF Museum Hendon, and returned to Hendon for further display in 2012, being reassembled for display in early 2013.