- Plan your day
- Things to see and do
- On display
- Flight Zone
- Falklands 40 – Bravo November
- Exhibitions & displays
- Virtual tours
- Conservation Centre
- What’s going on?
- Group visits
- Schools and colleges
- Venue hire
Summer Time Advanced Aerospace Residency
Applications for STAAR 2022 are now closed. Please check back for further announcements.
The STAAR (Summer Time Advanced Aerospace Residency) Programme is brought to you by Northrop Grumman, with the support of the Northrop Grumman Foundation, and in partnership with the RAF Museum. It is being delivered by the Museum, Royal Air Force Cosford and TA Education.
STAAR is designed for Year 9 (Scottish S3) students who demonstrate an interest or aptitude for one or more STEM subjects. Interested schools can enter the STAAR competition, with applications opening on 28 February, with winning schools given the chance to attend a residential at RAF Cosford. The competition has a mixture of tasks across the STEM spectrum, and schools are asked to submit a maximum of 10 students from across Year 9, with an equal gender split (same sex schools may apply 10 students). Please note: we cannot accept more than 10 students for the residential application. More than 10 students may take part in the competition, but only 10 can be put forward for residential if your school is selected.
- The STAAR competition opens for applications on Monday 28 February 2022
- Participating schools will be sent competition tasks and resources on Monday 7 March 2022 via a secure OneDrive link. Schools then have until Friday 8 April 2022 to submit their completed work.
- After the final submission date, all work is reviewed by external judges.
- Winning schools will be selected to attend a fully-funded residential at RAF Cosford.
This form must be filled out by teachers - any applications made by students will not be accepted.
This is a immersive, hands-on residential camp, like no other. Successful students stay with chaperones on base at RAF Cosford, and each day of the course is delivered at the RAF Museum or on base at RAF Cosford by RAF Museum STEM Ambassadors, industry experts from Northrop Grumman, Tablet Academy professionals and RAF STEM personnel.
The programme is funded by the Northrop Grumman Foundation and all places on the STAAR programme are provided free to the selected students. Residentials are held between:
- Monday 18 - Friday 22 July 2022
- Monday 25 - Friday 29 July 2022
For more information, please see our FAQ's page.
Get in touch by emailing us at STAAR@rafmuseum.org.