Hawker Hunter T7A
Download history »
This was a dual-control training version of the classic single-seat Hunter, the first prototype Hunter trainer flying in July 1955, and featured side-by-side seating for the student pilot and instructor. Hawkers at Kingston produced 45 Hunter T Mk 7s for the RAF from 1957, and a further 28 were converted from Hunter F Mk 4s in 1958-59.
Armed with a single nose-mounted 30mm Aden cannon and with a maximum speed of 690mph, the Hunter T Mk 7 entered service, initially with No 229 Operational Conversion Unit at RAF Chivenor, in August 1958, and served until the disbandment of No 208 Squadron on 31 March 1994; most Hunter squadrons had at least one example on strength for conversion and continuation training, in addition to its service with training and test flying units.
Latterly, six were modified to Hunter T Mk 7A standard to serve with No 237 OCU at RAF Lossiemouth as a dual control conversion trainer for Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer pilots, with Buccaneer instrumentation in the cockpit.
The Royal Navy equivalent was the arrestor-hook fitted Hunter T Mk 8 (first flown March 1958) and its T8B/T8C/T8M sub variants-41 airframes in total.