Museum Seeks Volunteers for Access Advisory Panel
Published on: 24 June 2023
Help us to inspire everyone with the RAF story by offering advice on how we can make the RAF Museum Midlands accessible to all as part of the Midlands Development Programme.
What is the Access Advisory Panel?
We want to be able to share the RAF story with everyone, including those living with all kinds of disability, visible or hidden. Our Access Advisory Panel is a group of volunteers who meet to support and advise the Museum in ensuring access for all. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the Midlands Development Programme, which includes the proposed development of a new Collections Hub to house our stored objects, an outdoor realm with space for the public and learning, a new learning centre for community and school groups and redevelopment of one of our hangars with a new exhibition to bring the RAF story up to date.
What will I be doing?
• Attending meetings a few times a year either onsite or online
• Sharing your experience and giving your opinion and advice on matters relating to access, linked to the Midlands Development Programme.
This role is perfect for you if you…
• Live/have lived with a disability or, have an understanding of living with a disability
• Have an interest in museums and a commitment to making museums accessible
• Have the ability and willingness to use your experience to help us improve access to the areas identified for development in the first instance
• Are committed to attending three meetings per year either online or at the Museum.
How much time would I need to commit?
The group meets three times per year (on dates to be agreed). Meetings last for approximately two hours and are usually held during Museum opening times. We may also send occasional emails asking for advice and opinions. There will also be opportunities to get involved in design workshops and other Museum activities such as events.
What’s in it for me?
• Meeting people, making new friends and making a difference for other visitors
• Helping heritage to be accessible to all
• 20% staff discount in the gift shop and café
• Travel and food expenses reimbursed in line with our policy (up to £14 per day), for you and your carer if needed
• Car parking pass for free parking throughout the year
• Offers of tickets to some of our events (free)
• Refreshments and even a biscuit or two!
• For attending further workshops, a £50.00 payment will be made to the main attendee (more details will be shared at the first meeting).
How can I get involved?
Apply online at: https://forms.office.com/e/VqKgk3TtCD
or email: email@example.com
For phone applications call: 01902 376243
If you need support filling in the form, this can be done in a number of ways – over the phone, via Teams, or you could come in and one of our team could help.
What happens next?
Once you have completed the form to show your interest, we will email you to let you know if you have been successful and inform you of the date of the first meeting. Successful applicants will be informed after the closing date of Tuesday 01 August.
Having attended the first meeting, you could then decide if this group is for you.
The RAF Museum’s Inspiring Everyone: RAF Museum Midlands Development Programme has been made possible thanks to a generous investment from The National Lottery Heritage Lottery Fund. The Museum is developing plans further and ground works will commence in 2025.