RAF Jet Warriors Experience
02 June - 04 June 2022
Sit in the cockpit of a Gulf War veteran Buccaneer and a Cold War Phantom
Location: Hangar 3 and Hangar 6
The McDonnell Douglas Phantom FGR2 and Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S2B are two iconic aircraft that formed a major part of the Royal Air Force’s combat aircraft strength. We are now offering visitors the opportunity to sit in both of these fascinating piece of Cold War technology while our expert guides walk you through their histories and cockpits.
The Phantom is located in our Hangar 3 building, the Buccaneer is located in our Hangar 6 building.
Sitting in the cockpit of a Phantom or Buccaneer is a rare experience, so to make sure you’re prepped for the day please take note of our access restrictions before purchasing your tickets:
- You must be physically fit to climb and lift your legs and full body weight into the cockpit
- Please wear trousers or shorts. Skirts and dresses may prevent or restrict access
- Please wear flat shoes with a good grip on them. Please note: we cannot allow the public access without appropriate footwear.
- You are more than welcome to take pictures once inside the cockpit – please come with a camera that can be zipped into a pocket or a camera with a strap.
- The phantom seat is 47cm wide and the entrance is 39cm wide with a 100cm clearance between the canopy and the side of the aircraft. You will be briefed on how to enter and exit the aircraft safely by a member of our team
- The buccaneer seat is 38cm wide and the entrance is 42cm wide.
- If the museum feels that it is not safe or possible for you to access either cockpit then we reserve the right to refuse access.
(Phantom Cockpit seat to the left, Buccaneer Cockpit seat to the right)
The experience will run from Thursday 2 June to Saturday 4 June. Access to both aircraft will be available from 12.00pm to 4.30pm.
£10.00 Phantom Cockpit
£10.00 Buccaneer Cockpit
£15.00 Combination ticket (access to both aircraft cockpits)
All ticket sales help support the RAF Museum.
The recommended minimum age is 8+ years. All children under 11 years must be assisted and supervised by their guardian for the duration of the experience. Children 11+ years must be able to access the cockpit unassisted if a guardian is not available to assist them.
Wearing of Facemasks
We strongly advise that you wear a face covering in our Phantom and Buccaneer Cockpit, unless exempt from doing so. You do not need to wear one when outside of either cockpit unless it makes you more comfortable to do so.
This experience is part of the Hendon Pageant – a fun-filled festival of storytelling, living history and activities for the whole family. Further information on the festival can be found here.