Handley Page V/1500 - What Do We Have?
Three four-bladed wooden propellers for the rear-mounted 300hp Rolls Royce Eagle VIII pusher engines as fitted to the V/1500 (the front tractor engines had two-bladed propellers).
This example was donated by Mr. D.H. Elliott of County Down.
This propeller was purchased by the Museum in County Cork, Ireland. The Eagle VIII also powered the Handley Page 0/400 and a number of other aircraft.
We also have the Pattern 253 compass, removed from V/1500 F7139, which made a forced landing during its return flight from Madrid to England on 29 May 1919. This was donated by Wing Commander R.H. Stocken.
Also held are four sections of wire braced, wooden framed V/1500 tailplane, with a damaged fabric covering (accession number 1991/0246-0249/A). Each is some 12 feet long and 5 feet wide.
The Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden holds a length of V/1500 main wing spar.
Those items not illustrated here will be photographed as the recording element of the Museum's ongoing collections management programme proceeds.