Essentially a stop-gap development of the Ju88, the Junkers Ju188 was a four-seat medium bomber which featured a redesigned nose, larger wings with pointed tips, a new tail unit and a streamlined dorsal turret. These modifications made it more manoeuvrable than its predecessor and enhanced its high-altitude performance.
The type first flew in the spring of 1942 but despite the fact it was a useful aircraft and popular with the men who flew it, only 1,076 were completed before production ended at the beginning of 1944. Withdrawn as a bomber by the autumn of that year, it continued to serve in a reconnaissance role until the end of the war.
Date: August 1944
Collection Ref: X001-4346